Reply to post: Bah!

UCLA shooter: I killed my prof over code theft

Stevie

Bah!

PhD students routinely have their work "stolen" in that if the work deserves publication as innovative in some way, the Professor's name is on the paper and the student who did the thinking and the lab work (I was a chemistry undergrad) is listed as an assistant.

That's the cost of the doctorate. It's somewhat like Network Marketing scams because the expectation is that you will in time become a professor and do it to some other bright young things, thereby being compensated for your "loss".

The scam comparison comes when the educational system is flooded with PhDs, industry (where the possibility of patents might soothe the seethe) doesn't need any more and the tips managed as a Barista don't come close to making up for not being known as the man (or woman) wot invented the BUI (Brainwave User Interface) or who is not in line for the Nobbly Prize for sorting out that whole World Peace thing on a napkin in the Uni coffee bar one rainy Thursday.

I wonder what the wife stole. His vital liquids? His self-esteem? The affections of the Kitten?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon