Reply to post: Re: Shoes

Computerised stock management? Nah, let’s use walkie-talkies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Shoes

@Mage - bravo, well said! And what REALLY ticks me off is that almost anything you can find for women in larger sizes will almost certainly be some kind of horrid fashion disaster.

Forget footwear for special nights out - what most of us want for general wear is footwear that's comfortable. Simple black or brown low-heel court shoes with decent support of the arch fit the bill perfectly for the offfice, and sandals that have one strap around the back of your ankle and two wide ones creating an X across the top of your foot will do for outside in good weather. Keep teh design simple, and colours neutral, and whilst it might not be quite what you;d like, at least it won;t make you cringe.

But is that what we get? Oh, no - size 10 with a 4 inch heel courts (women with feet THAT big tend to be on the heavy side - which means the heels won't last much more than 5 minutes) or flats so frumpy and with such a messed up range of colours mashed in there that even a semi-blind nonagenarian would puke at them for being too frumpy. Alternatively, thong sandals or flip-flops in a vibrant migraine-inducing colour with some random word printed on them and a supposedly decorative piece of tat that not only destroys any shred of aesthetics the things might've had, but is also guaranteed to prod into your foot and give you a blister you wouldn;t otherwise have had.

End result - it's army-surplus boots or 'trainers' for me, this last decade or two. The boots aren;t that comfy unless I wear a couple of pairs of socks and add insoles, and the trainers are humungously comfy but generally rather 'loud' in appearance - and twice the price that sensible affordable court shoes used to be thirty years ago.

I almost wish a law could be passed forcing footwear retailers to offer a standard range of well-made sensible footwear of all sizes from teeny tiny up to 15s in at least three width options (preferably five), but given the governments we've had this last forty years, I can;t imagine any of the options available government-wise wouldn't bugger it up trying to draft a suitable law. Not that they care, they can all afford to have bespoke shoes made,on their salaries, the b******s.

</rant>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon