Reply to post: I love my Smartwatch

Smartwatches: I hate to say ‘I told you so’. But I told you so.

daveperso

I love my Smartwatch

I love my Motorola 360 1st generation Android watch and I find it very useful and can't understand why people don't like them.

Charging

Charging is not an issue at all. Do you wear your watch in bed?? No, you take it off, or at least I do, and with my smartwatch, I simply place it in its cradle every night and it's ready to go the next day. What's more, it acts like a little bedside clock while it is charging. Why do you need a phone that doesn't need charging for a month???? Don't get it.

Always visible

My watch is always lit up. I don't need to touch the screen to see the time. Make sure you get a smartwatch with this feature.

Notifications

I use my phone mainly for notifications. I must get anywhere between 50 and 100 mails a day from 7 or 8 accounts, I get 30 or so messages from Whatsapp, and I sometimes get calls, SMSs. Rather than having to dig out my phone each time something comes through, I can just glance at my watch very quickly to see who or what it is. If it is important, then I might get the phone out to deal with it. This is by far the greatest feature for me and is worth the money just for that.

Stylish.

I have the silver metal wrist strap version of the Motorola 360 and frankly it looks and feels good. It is classic looking and most people don't realize it's a smartwatch until it lights up or I start touching it. And then they are impressed. Their first question is 'How much was it?' In my view, this shows that people are interested. Most, and I mean most, never knew that smartwatches existed. If they do know what a smartwatch is, they almost invariably ask me 'is that an Apple Watch? '. Shows how TV advertising does increase awareness.

Conclusion

I like my watch and I am keen to buy a better one. But there's not much on the market just yet. The Huawei watch is nice and you can now take calls on your watch which might be useful sometimes. How often do you miss a call but you need to find your phone or take it out of your pocket etc and the call has gone onto your answering machine? Being able to answer a call on the watch would help with this.

So I am looking for a good-looking watch which is not overly-expensive, ie. about €300 max but would prefer €200, a watch that could add even more convenience. The software could be 'cooler' in design on Android and Android 2.0 looks like it is going somewhere in the right direction. I hate the 'OK Google' that you have to say to activate voice recognition and frankly I don't use it much even though it works pretty well. They need to change the 'OK Google' signal. It is dumb and makes you feel and look dumb too. LG are releasing a new watch but I don't like LG much and it is going to be expensive. I think I'll wait for the Motorola 360 3rd generation.

Maybe I am a little different from the mass market but I really couldn't live without my smartwatch now. It is just too convenient and makes me less glued to my smartphone. And I don't miss a message.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon