Reply to post: Smart watches - Excellent for some - ignored by most

Smartwatches: I hate to say ‘I told you so’. But I told you so.

Jim-234

Smart watches - Excellent for some - ignored by most

I think the issue with smart watches comes down to individual use cases.

I know many people couldn't care less about a smart watch but for me it is a really useful accessory, that I put to constant use each day.

Starting out as many these days I have a large screen phone, this pretty much eliminates the need to worry about a tablet. The phone stays in my pocket most of the time.

I use the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 which I think is one of the best ones from a feature set, I'd love the S2 but they took away the camera.

Why use a smartwatch?

So I don't have to pull out my phone.

If you have multiple notifications for e-mails (some important, most junk), texts coming in (some you care about, others not), you can just turn your wrist at a glance and see what it is, or let them build up and check a bunch at once, quickly.

When calls come in, while you are working, you just look at your wrist & decide to answer or not & get on with working.

You can get your important traffic notifications sent to your wrist so you know if you need to take a different route to avoid a jam without having to pull out and look at your phone.

You can also setup ready made text replies so if you get asked to pick up something on the way home, you can respond yes or things like that with a touch or two, or answer that you'll be there shortly etc.

Too many people deride the camera, but it's actually very useful as a quick way to take note of things, no need to jot down notes on stuff or type stuff in, just snap a quick shot of it with 2 presses of a button on your wrist and you can jot it down later.

I think Samsung's own platform is a fair bit better & less bloated than the Google Wear platform, but them sticking it pretty much to only Samsung phones limits the appeal. While the watch lasts about 2 days on a charge, I have no problem charging it at night, I just take it off & put it by my phone which is also charging, then pick up said phone & watch in the morning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon