Reply to post:

Brexit? Cutting the old-school ties would do more for Brit tech world

YARR

"The arguments of the Pro campaigners just add to the sentiment that I wasn’t welcome in the first place."

Brexit is about our relationship with the political institution of the EU, not with European people or nations.

"when I interject that the former size of your Empire isn’t relevant anymore, your hurt pride"

I don't think many British people are "proud" of Empire or "hurt" by your suggestion.

"How do you justify colonising from Cape to Cairo?"

How can the EU justify seizing political control of member states without a democratic mandate?

Besides most European countries were also colonisers, and were primarily motivated by economic reasons.

"nowadays you seem to hold quite strong views about foreigners and that they should stay in their home countries"

Inside or outside of the EU views would still be divided, but being outside the EU gives Britain control of immigration. This matters more to many voters than having "greater influence in Europe".

"It’s your government, who use cheap rightwing messages"

Actually our government has used taxpayer's money to spread pro-EU propaganda to every household.

There's nothing "cheap" or "uneducated" about wanting independence from a political union that we never voted for (we only voted for a free market), that is anti-democratic and run by a self-serving appointed elite, whose excessive regulations and taxes have made Britain overwhelmingly poorer, and taken away powers to effect change that benefits us.

"Austerity measures and the demise of the NHS have nothing to do with a few million foreigners taking your jobs and benefits"

With the money we spend on the EU, the national budget would go a lot further.

"largely generated by a hasty invasion of Iraq in 2003"

The 2003 invasion did cause a wave of refugees, but the present wave of refugees are caused by recent conflicts that have many causes. The downfall of Libya was assisted by many EU countries.

"Do you still wonder about the success of Polish and Romanian builders?"

Not really - a British wage is worth a lot more to them than a Polish or Romanian wage is to a Brit.

"The lack of social mobility is strong in Great Britain"

How is the EU going to fix this? The EU creates inequality by funding a large and excessively well paid, unelected bureaucracy.

Perhaps if fewer foreign students went to British universities, more British students would have an opportunity?

"a short-term recession would just be an inconvenience"

Why would freeing ourselves from a counter-productive political union provoke a recession, provided we remain open to free trade? The threats seem to come from people with a vested interest in centralising political control. If Britain's economy was more successful outside the EU it would prove to other Europeans that they would also be better off independent.

"At least, there, I won’t be shut up as a foreigner without a right to vote."

This is a nonsensical argument coming from someone educated to PhD level! Fair is fair - we can't vote in your referendum and you can't vote in ours.

You've been granted the opportunity to express your view to a wide audience here. There are many who disagree with you who would relish the opportunity to be read so widely.

"For me, the EU is not about the money ... It is a model how people can work together "

Like it or not, money matters and a grossly inefficient institution should be subject to some competition. The higher goals you mention are global issues not local European issues.

The EU is a hierarchical structure that dictates laws that take precedent over national sovereignty, it's not a forum for equal partner nations to agree common policies.

"Is the Brexit debate yet another move to distract from the real issues in the country?"

As a member of the EU, we are powerless to affect the real issues facing our country. Brexit would take that power back.

"These problems cannot be tackled with national pride and strong emotion. We have all got to look forward, not backward."

Your appeal to abstract emotional concepts is not a valid argument. You appear to suffer from a delusion that the only political path we can choose is to surrender to centralised control. I would prefer to regain more control over my own future in exchange for less influence over others.

"you need to work on yourself"

The feeling is mutual.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon