Reply to post: They aren't the only ones ...

Don't panic, says Blue Coat, we're not using CA cert to snoop on you

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

They aren't the only ones ...

A few years back, in the earliest days of the Syrian revolt (before it devolved into a free for all), I was having a drink with a friend who worked for a firm that I won't name* for obvious reasons.

(*Save to say it was very shortly after acquired by a bigger household name for a huge sum, a decision which everyone came to regret when it was revealed after the fact that the value of the company had been enormously (and perhaps fraudulently) inflated resulting in much press and bitter recriminations, not to mention lawsuits and law enforcement investigations.)

He was remarking how they were currently in discussions with the Assad regime to provide a 'solution' to detect twitter postings unfavourable to the regime and trace them back to the individuals responsible.

I must have failed to conceal my surprise and disgust at the revelation that my friend would work for such a business, let alone that he would discuss such sordid dealings as though they were routine, since he quickly changed the subject and never again mentioned it. I too, for my shame, kept quiet on the subject as I had no wish to land him in trouble and I had no evidence except for his candid words.

My friend, along with all of his colleagues were treated very badly following the acquisition and though he hung on for a few months as everyone around him parted company, he ultimately quit and went in search of greener pastures.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon