Reply to post: Is Julian even news-worthy anymore?

Sweden decides Julian Assange™ 'remains detained in absentia'

decayofsouls

Is Julian even news-worthy anymore?

"If the US really wanted to extradite him they could have extradited him from the UK when he was still lounging around leeching of the rich fools who paid his bail. "

Despite what Assange, and his supporters claim, the UK couldn't send him to the US if they wanted to right now, nor could Sweden - as being member states of the EU they are under EU law which means they are not allowed to extradite to countries that have the death penalty.

Also sysconfig is correct; he isn't being detained (despite the wording of him, his supporters, his cat and the press) as he chose to exile/confine himself in the embassy to avoid prosecution (essentially he ran and hid rather than face justice) and the police force outside are there to arrest him (at which point he would be detained) for the crime (I say crime because he is guilty of doing this) bail-jumping that he did to get to the embassy in the first place before his subsequent trial for rape (notice trial as this still needs to go through court to be declared guilty and is innocent till proven otherwise).

On a side note, as he is guilty of breach of bail in the UK, I am still unsure how Ecuador decided to, and can continue to, offer him safe haven as (my legalese is rusty but I seem to recall) the Vienna Convention states that embassies must respect local laws.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon