Reply to post: Re: Re @AC

The PC is dead. Gartner wishes you luck, vendors

Updraft102

Re: Re @AC

"When I can get a mobile phone with a 23 inch or bigger screen, a proper keyboard, no touch screen and a battery that last more than 5 minutes, 5 days would be nice, then Gartner, you can send me a postcard."

That's a good start, but phones are still essentially disposable items, and PCs have gotten to a nice point where they are durable and technologically relevant for years after purchase (which is the cause of the gnashing of teeth regarding how the PC business is "doomed" because people keep using them until they no longer work... you know, like just about every other product people own and use. Are toasters doomed because people aren't throwing away working examples and buying new every two years?

Mobile phones are meant to be thrown away after a short period of use. They're difficult to service, typically being glued together, with their batteries soldered in. They are often flimsy and allow the screen to crack quite easily. Their batteries have short service lives. Android devices often end up being obsolete, security wise, a few months after you get one, since the cellular carrier has no incentive to keep you using your old phone longer and thus never releases a patch (or does so one or two times and then calls it an EOL'd product).

Apple products tend to do better (though still not even close to how long you get support with Windows, and even then you can install another version of Windows or Linux post-EOL and remain patched forever) but then you have to put up with the walled garden and the number of features Apple has arbitrarily made off limits to you-- like even seeing that there is a file system under there somewhere. It's fine, I guess, if you're talking about a content-consumption toy, but if you have more serious needs, iOS isn't going to cut it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon