Reply to post:

Chaps make working 6502 CPU by hand. Because why not?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Hah, I still have a device with a 6302 and it still works, although I would have to refresh my memory to program it in machine language (usually snippets to access my own electronics in the interface slot, because I was in the habit of cooking up all sorts of stuff).

You may have guessed it: it's a PSION Organiser II - the last one I still have. I used to have a bunch of them, but I gave them away to musea. Due to some ill advised packing during a move I lost the comms link, but I no longer own anything with a serial port so I'd be hard pressed to use it (leaving aside that I'd have to install DOS on a VM that is hardened enough to withstand the way PSION wrote DOS code - it's the only code I recall busting out of protected mode and hang multitaskers).

Anyway, the silly thing still works quite happily. And I may even have the 6302 data book. When I started coding on it I had no idea what machine language was, but I worked it out myself, that was part of the fun of it all. An update in those days meant physically cutting the ROMs off the board and soldering ones with new firmware in place, something I have done many, many times :).

Those were the days (etc etc).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon