Reply to post: Re: Serious question

Official: Microsoft's 'Get Windows 10' nagware to vanish from PCs in July

Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Serious question

So you're proposing a Linux distro, specifically Mint, as a Windows replacement OS but at the same time stating that you need to run some software in Wine or in a VM?

Yes, not much different to W7 Pro which allowed me to run two legacy applications in Windows XP mode. This didn't require me to have a standalone WinXP licence. W10 OTOH requires the installation of a VM and a standalone WinXP.

I didn't get there however due to incompatibility with my video adapter, a fairly recent ATI based card made by ASUS. I attempted to discover if my spare was compatible, but MS appears to no longer make an HCL available. Apparently you are now expected to purchase and install video adapters in order to use a compatibility tool. It occurred to me that this might be a very expensive proposition.

You can add repositories other than the official ones with the Software Sources tool in Accessories. Running "sudo add-apt-repository xxxx" is quicker, but if the command'line upsets you, you generally have alternatives.

It may surprise you to know that Windows also has a very useful set of command-line tools, many of which have been there "for ever" and some more recent. Not "voodoo prayers" and much quicker than endless clicking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon