Reply to post: This app will self destruct in 5....4....3....

Apple needs silver bullet to slay App Store's escaped undead – study

Haku

This app will self destruct in 5....4....3....

I'm with The_Idiot over this issue, remote wiping of apps without your concent or approval can lead to very bad things happening.

I used to have an Android app on my phone+tablet that allowed me to change the settings on a Mobius action/dash camera, until one day I was forced to do an update because it turns out it had a mandatory monthly update check built-in, and what did that new update do? It completely disabled the app, until weeks later a new update was available with a fully working version, which was no longer free.

It's precicely this sort of crap that has made me turn off automatic app updates, because too often the new version has a 'new' and 'improved' layout which usually worse than the previous version, and useful functions are sometimes removed.

Also I no longer use my Mobius as an action camera, it has been relegated to a dash cam (which it's very suited for), I now have a Xiaomi YI & SJCAM SJ4000+'s which sit in gimbals much easier, and no such update issues with their control apps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon