Reply to post:

You can always rely on the Ancient Ones to cock things up

AndrueC Silver badge
Unhappy

They are simply doing it on purpose to piss us off.

I defy any reader to tell me they don’t experience this on a regular basis at work

Oh, yes. A month ago I needed to communicate with HMRC. So right from the off you can guess that I wasn't starting from a 'happy place'. So I follow my normal procedure of grabbing my credentials from the fire safe (I can't remember the random numbers and letters they gave me for my password and user name). Click login and..whut?..passport number? FFS. Is this really the HMRC site? Yes. Bah. Go back to fire safe. Get passport. Type bloody number. Click.

Bloody mobile bloody phone bloody number?

Typitty type. Click.

<five minutes later>. This is pathetic. HMRC can't even send a 2FA SMS. Pick mobile phone up to share a whinge with friend.

'Not registered on network'.

Eh? Bloody worked half an hour ago. Reboot phone 'cos sometimes it does this.

'No signal'.

Stomp over to Vodafone Sure Signal. Note slow paced disco simulation from second LED.

Stomp out into garden then do the 'how high can I hold the phone' dance. Text arrives from HMRC. Go back inside expecting round of applause from neighbours.

Turns out the important message from HMRC was that they hadn't managed to progress my query yet. Vodafone eventually fixed the problem with Sure Signal five days later.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon