Reply to post: Re: snooping my machine

Ad-blocker blocking websites face legal peril at hands of privacy bods

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: snooping my machine

"Now, if people would only pick sites based on how bad or good ads on them are"

FFS, you really are on another planet! NO ONE EVER picks a site based on the quality of the ads. People pick a site based on the content. If the ads are obnoxious they leave and try elsewhere.

It's the CONTENT they want. They are not looking for ads. The ads are an intrusion and if a site becomes popular, it's greedy bastards like you who ruin it by thinking you can get more click throughs and more money by "competing" for the most intrusive and obnoxious ads. The actions of the users are blindingly obvious. WE DON'T LIKE YOUR ADS. We "vote" with our eyeballs and go somewhere else. You evil bastards follow us and ruin the the alternative site too, so we move again and STILL you follow us. Ad blockers are a response to YOUR escalation.

If a site is unusable with 3rd party scripts blocked then I go somewhere else. If you want my eyeballs then find a way to place ads which are silent, static and don't need 3rd party scripts slinging malware at me. The landscape is changing and you have to adapt. Treating your potential customers as the enemy and accusing them of theft isn't going to win you any friends.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon