Reply to post: What about..

Ad-blocker blocking websites face legal peril at hands of privacy bods

A Ghost
Holmes

What about..

Can this be extended to browser and canvas fingerprinting?

They are probing your whole system from outside without permission, yet they get away with it because 99 percent of people don't know it is happening. If you use TOR then it tells you when a site is trying to extract your machine information, otherwise you need a program like WinPrivacy (by the reputable makers of WinPatrol) which works on whichever browser you are using (not a browser plugin).

It's surprising the amount of sites that do this, though it is not the norm by any means. That is why you have to be careful if you think you are anonymous by using a VPN (say), but the site where you think you are anonymous has fingerprinted you to within a 99 percent likelihood of it being 'you'. As I understand it.

Might be wrong about that bit.

Anyway, if I'm not allowed to do a port scan of their network, I don't see why they should be allowed to do a plugin scan on what is effectively my one connection to the outside world - an extension of my brain and my hand and as personal as it gets, hence the term 'Data-Rape'.

Data-Rape is wrong. I would never do it to anyone else, and I honestly feel as if I have been abused (because I have been) when it is done to me. I did not grant you permission to look inside my knicker draw and rifle around.

Probing my plugins is Data-Rape, Canvas fingerprinting my machine/browser is Data-Rape.

It's about time someone started taking this abuse of power seriously. This is a start.

I know, I know, we can but dream...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon