Reply to post: I don't claim to understand it, but ...

How much faster is a quantum computer than your laptop?

Draco
WTF?

I don't claim to understand it, but ...

The problem I see with quantum computing is that everything I read about it (I have not read any "official" papers though) always sounds the same (in style and substance) with those inventions that claim to be revolutionary in energy use / production. So, I read about it with a very sceptical eye.

As I understand it (from the popular press), the magic of quantum computing lies in it evaluating all possible solutions simultaneously and popping out the correct answer blazingly fast. Now, for me, the question is "how do you code something so that all possibilities are evaluated simultaneously?" It seems obvious to me that if you are coding all the permutations, then, obviously, you are also coding the answer in. Once the quantum haze (or should that be foam?) dissipates, presto, you have the right answer. But ... it would seem that the quantum computer had no choice but to reveal the correct answer, since all other answers would be "unstable" (so to speak) and thus collapse away.

As I said, I don't pretend to understand this one bit ... which is why the WTF? icon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon