Reply to post:

Apple pulled 2,204lbs of gold out of old tech gear

Slx

I'm of the opinion that companies should be taxed based on making landfill destined junk. Apple to be fair to them are a high end brand and they do push towards at least thinking about these things a bit.

I'm horrified at the way major appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, fridges etc are now being produced by very cheap manufacturers at unrealistic prices. That means you're getting appliances that are badly made and disposed of after a couple of years. Well made and old appliances often last 14+ years.

That's really having a deep impact on the local environment and on the environment where those machines are in reality made (cheap parts made in far flung places).

I think the appliances need to be ID tagged and those IDs linked to tax or import levies on their manufacturer.

Ultimately all this is about it taking high cost low emission, high wage manufacturers and turning them into near 19th century standards of pollution and employment law in another country far away and out of sight.

There's no such thing as a cheap appliance. The cost is going somewhere.

I'm fed up with the bashing of Apple on these things though. Yes its a huge brand but no it's not by a long shot the most unetgidal or environmentally damaging. Look around you at all the electronic, electrical and packaging waste you're generating for absolutely no reason. It mostly doesn't even improve your lifestyle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon