Reply to post: Re: I don't see how this would be a problem for Apple

Line by line, how the US anti-encryption bill will kill our privacy, security

tom dial Silver badge

Re: I don't see how this would be a problem for Apple

The question might well be whether Apple would be able to sell such equipment in the US. The draft law appears to require that they bypass, or help the government to bypass, security that they provide or have provided on their behalf by another party, given a constitutionally valid warrant or other court order, and maybe a lawful court order for assistance under the proposed act, to do so. One obvious solution to the "cannot bypass" claim would be a "cannot sell" injunction applicable to such equipment in the US.

I am not arguing that this would be good policy, or would not cause great uproar and discontent. However, it is not obviously inconsistent with anything in the Constitution. Moreover, if implemented subject to the same controls that Apple applies to iOS, it would not, in fact, pose any threat that does not now exist to users against whom the government does not obtain authority to breach privacy.

The draft act has numerous problems, but "cannot bypass my built in security" may not be the most serious of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon