Reply to post: Re: Stallman is a loon

Bundling ZFS and Linux is impossible says Richard Stallman

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Stallman is a loon

…Or the equally insane Church of Anything But Apple, which seems to have very many adherents here.

Nope - just used as part of a diverse Open Standards approach to IT. Personally, I am more fond of the Unix way of doing things, and Apple has managed to put that in nice hardware with a shell I can even let my grandma use without too much prompting and without too much support to keep it running.

I'm just not very fond of rickety IT I have to keep fighting with to keep it online, safe and private, which is what I have found Windows to be (well, before I gave up, which is around Windows 7 - from what I hear I haven't missed much). It's just too expensive for running a small operation like ours in both software costs, resources and risk, but it appears we'll have to spin up some Win 2008 VMs to run MS SQL because some code we want to use doesn't run on anything safer - the debate about that is still ongoing because it's a global deployment and apart from anything else we don't want MS crowing about it, which it would as soon as it found out about it. We may actually ask the developers to re-engineer the core so we can avoid this.

In any other respect I agree - I don't care what religion it belongs to as long as it does the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon