Reply to post: Not a fan

How Remix's Android will eat the world

Sampler

Not a fan

Has a fair few kinks to work out, such as mobile apps instead of their tablet versions coming through the app store (notably facebook) when I tried it on my ol' spare laptop.

UI navigation was still fraught, touchpad would do unexpected things, so clearly need a touch interface on any device this is to go on thusfar, plus the ironic lack of screen relestate as everything's blow up (ironic in things like chrome lose a good eight of my 11" screen to the the chrome) and niggles like youtube apps fullscreen still displays the taskbar.

Elephant in the room though was, why? Why am I trying to get a clearly mobile OS to work as a desktop one, with all the caveats it brings, when I have a perfectly good desktop OS on the other partition that doesn't have the oddities, idosyncracities, caveats and workarounds that this does.

Maybe with work and time it'll get there, but, still feels like a compromise. Apps are thrown as the big plus for this, yet most don't work as well as there desktop counterparts or are websites wrapped in apps where, on a desktop, accessing the site is preferably to the app experience. I also lose out on all my existing great desktop apps. so struggling to find a reason for this over the incumbant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon