Reply to post: This idea that it is bad because the FBI can try again

US govt says it has cracked killer's iPhone, legs it from Apple fight

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

This idea that it is bad because the FBI can try again

Yes, in theory the FBI can try again. What are the odds they will have such a slam dunk case again? The only way this case could have been more of a slam dunk for them would be if they could have somehow proven there definitely was intelligence on that phone and they definitely were part of a larger cell/plot.

I think the FBI and Apple learned two important things, and both were surprised by what they learned. Originally Apple wanted the case filed under seal, but the FBI refused. I think Apple was worried about negative publicity from taking a stand that might appear "pro terrorist", and the FBI thought that negative publicity would force Apple to give in which is why they refused to file the case under seal. Turns out they were both wrong.

While there certainly wasn't universal support for Apple, at best the FBI had only half the country on their side. And that was with a case that lined up almost perfectly to put Apple in the worst possible light. I honestly don't think the FBI is willing to try this again, because of the way they ran off with their tail between their legs on this one and went with the third party option that I'm sure they already knew about. They'll never get a better case, unless a terrorist is caught with a phone and taunts them "information about hundreds of ISIS terrorists in the US and dozens of active plots are on it, but it is encrypted so you'll never get in!" before he shoots himself to avoid being caught and forced to reveal the password.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon