Reply to post: Re: I get it. Really I do,

Calm down, dear: Woman claims sexism in tech journalism

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I get it. Really I do,

> There's this word - 'respect'. All the CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md files popping up on Github won't fix anything

On the contrary, they ones I've seen (and they're all copypasta) make things worse...

> unless people require respect from each other.

...for exactly this reason. They just fail to acknowledge that other points of view may exist and be just as respectable, and that it is actions not words that matter.

Case in point, some sad idiot (I do not use that word lightly) on the Node.js IRC channels who runs a bot that intercepts any references to God, guys and the like so she can come and scold people. Things go like:

someone: "Thank you for your help, God bless you!"

otherperson: "Cheers!" (whether I believe in God or not, I figure a blessing can't hurt)

bigot: "Hey someone, please do not bring up religion here, not everyone is a believer" (so fucking what? Some people are. Live and let live)

someone: "Hello guys!"

bigot: "We're not all guys here, you know?" Guess what, the dictionary defines 'guys' as "people of either sex". It might have been childish but I started mocking her by greeting the chatroom with "Hello guys and the YY-chromosomed amongst you!" (for the ones who slept through biology class, in humans the YY chromosome pair is not viable).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon