Reply to post: Well, it is just "different"

Mud sticks: Microsoft, Windows 10 and reputational damage

Herby

Well, it is just "different"

And that IS the problem. Users are (I include myself here) LAZY. They don't want to change their ways unless there is a compelling need. Do you take a different route to the grocery store just "because". I doubt it. Sure the road may be nicer, but it may take you out of your way. If you only want to buy groceries why should I need to bother with the nice new route when it doesn't gain me anything.

The underlying problem is that software doesn't really "wear out". It will work the same way as it did one year ago if it hasn't changes. The problem is that parts DO change for a variety of reasons, but take great pains to hide the changes. This is so that users will see the familiar face of the software and think that nothing has been done that effects them (life goes on). Then someone comes along and changes things just to be fancy (there is a road construction near my house where this is going on), and the "old" way becomes "functionally obsolete". Yes, it worked nicely, but we are going to improve it.

Now everyone asks the big question: WHY?

And nobody can come up with a good answer. In the case of W10 the hardware hasn't changed, and the users haven't changed, and everyone is asking the question why has the software changed?

Some of this probably goes back to the service life of WXP. It was first released in 2001 (I don't use it so I may be wrong here), and continued for over 10 years. Sure it has service pack update, but by and large it was pretty stable for that period of time. Users now look back and wonder why can't recent operating system releases be as long lived, and will continue to complain about changing their habits.

Me? I use Linux at home and it has done the job for me quite well. My desktop machine was running Fedora 8, and I have recently gotten a new desktop running Fedora 21. I can update it at my will, when it prompts me that things are available. I do it on my OWN schedule. The interface has been quite consistent over the years (even though I massage things to my own way of doing things). No complaints.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon