Reply to post: Re: Don't blame users for the UI

Mud sticks: Microsoft, Windows 10 and reputational damage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't blame users for the UI

The Insider program. Perhaps it's cynicism, but cynicism based on long experience, particularly with the Microsoft newsgroups, to expect that the majority of participants would be Microsoft fanbois. Otherwise there would be a reasonable no. of users who enjoy beta testing so are not necessarily Microsoft bootlickers, but many are likely obsessives - like the kinds who have a morbid fear of being a day or two late to get the latest definitions for this or that anti-malware offering; or early-adopters of all stripes.It does seem as if more users ran the Technical Preview than previous betas, but whatever demographic that was an increase of, obviously it wasn't from the overwhelming majority Windows 10 is actually aimed at. Perhaps it was a smattering of fanbois, obsessives - and those like myself.

I'm not going to attempt to classify my own 'type', beyond that we tend to read The Register; if we're obsessive about tech, nonetheless retain an open, rational mind, and have no affiliation. We are probably the minority participants who ideally would be the majority (given there not being a chance in hell the majority market for the end product is ever going to consciously beta test).

You might even - in our almost-legalistically even-handed way - consider Microsoft's intentions running the Insider program of being honourable, if naive.

However, I never saw one single example of Microsoft acting, or even expressing the intention to act on any suggestion or complaint that would involve doing anything differently. The cynic would suggest that, no, Microsoft weren't being naive; that they assumed from the same long experience that the majority of Insiders would be those for whom Microsoft can do no wrong, and those who simply have to run the very latest tech but have no opinion. If so, the Insider program would be a cynical marketing ploy presumably designed to make the target market think that Microsoft 'listened' to it's customers when developing Windows 10; while having an army of those ordinary 'customers' proclaiming to the world how great it is.

So call me 'cynical'. But, considering that since April last year Microsoft have been engaging in the most cynical marketing ploy in home computing history, so far culminating in bundling Win 10 advertising in a Security update; that the only way to decline is to decline the Security update...I for one conclude that the Insider program is what it ultimately felt like, to me: a cynical marketing ploy. Apologies to my fellow even-handed beta testers if I've strayed into 'biased'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019