Reply to post: Poor Web Development

Data-thirsty mobile owners burn through 5GB a month

wolfetone Silver badge

Poor Web Development

It's quite common to view a website that is just stuffed to the gills of large CSS and JS files, as well as images that aren't optimised before uploading to the server. In another life I administered a platform that 300 clubs of the charity I worked for, and the people administering the separate websites would always upload their photos direct from mobile phones or digital cameras. Then they'd post them on to the page they'd resize them there, which wouldn't reduce the actual size of the file just the space on screen it'd take up. They would then moan at me that the photos were taking too long to load "even though they're only small".

Head? Meet Brick Wall - for 3 years.

But these new fancy websites we're seeing are the same. The emphasis isn't on the end user, it's on trying to out do the rival developers and designs to make a site look nice. A nice site doesn't mean shit if:

a) Takes too long to load

b) Uses up a tonne of data

Strip your sites back. Pretend we're back in the late 1990's and everyone had 56k dial up modems. Do more with less, and it's only then will you have a good website.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon