Reply to post: Re: I don't quite see how

Better mobe antennas a stretch goal for radiocomm boffins

Commswonk

Re: I don't quite see how

Yes; I would agree with that. Aerial "tuning" is a misnomer in any case; the correct term is "matching" because the requirement is to match the impedance of the aerial (which may have real and imaginary components) to that impedance for which a transmitter output stage is designed.

What is being described in the article isn't frequency hopping either; frequency hopping is a means of (a) concealing the fact that a transmission is taking place, (b) making it harder to jam any such transmission, and (c) making it harder to intercept and perhaps decrypt what is being sent.

However I would argue that it is very hard to determine the exact purpose behind this research from both the El Reg article and the "Eureka Alert" reference . At least Eureka Alert takes the trouble to add Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! at the bottom of its piece. Wise move, adding that.

I have read and reread both articles and have been unable to avoid concluding that both may be a little "confused", but to be fair I have to admit to not being a "Marvin" with a brain the size of a planet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon