Reply to post: Re: Techies vs. corporate drones ;)

Java evangelist leaves Oracle to save Java

Tom 13

Re: Techies vs. corporate drones ;)

He may be technically correct about not everyone being a drone. However, I suspect the non-drones are even more problematic than the drones. Way back in the 90s I worked for one of the many outfits that was trying to develop a home automation system. On the tech side we had the usual mix of good people and bad people and were fortunate to have a couple of positively brilliant programmers. The most brilliant programmer in the program was married to one of the other lead techs. As the tech writer I dealt with both of them and I always preferred talking to John. He could actually explain things while his wife tended to go for the "I'm brilliant, top dog, and don't have time to get into this with you so just go follow my orders." Now given she was the system architect and John married her, I'm willing to believe she was technically competent. She certainly wasn't a drone. The company went bankrupt mostly because the marketing department never understood its job and as usual was the tail wagging the dog. Around that time John and his wife were getting divorced. I forget where he went, but she moved to California to take a position with an up and coming company. Yes, it was Oracle. As Oracle has emerged as a leading tech company, I've always gotten the impression she'd found a home with people just like herself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon