Reply to post: Re: ... this will validate EU/US data transfers once more...

Data protection: Don't be an emotional knee jerk. When it comes to the law, RTFM

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: ... this will validate EU/US data transfers once more...

> What it will do is give companies enough legal cover to claim that they are compliant until someone like Max takes another case through the courts.

Indeed, it will be, at best, a very temporary reprieve - and will last a lot shorter time than Safe Harbour (I'd guess months rather than years). Because I assume the likes of FarceBork will quickly use it and Max will be back in court with the same case again. All the evidence is already there, already assessed by the court, and nothing significant will have changed.

Anyone who uses Safe Shield will be an idiot, and will find themselves in the brown stuff once it too is declared worthless. Well not quite worthless, though I suspect printed material like that isn't very comfortable for use in "the little room".

The USA, and any company with a presence in the USA, will be off the friends list for a long time - basically until the US government caves in and changes it's laws in ways it so far shows no interest in doing. In fact, so far it seems to be negotiating Safe Shield, while at the same time making it's laws even more incompatible with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon