Reply to post: Re: @Same old/Life is good

2016: Bad USB sticks, evil webpages, booby-trapped font files still menace Windows PCs

Hans 1
Boffin

Re: @Same old/Life is good

>Huh! It's 2016 and Linux / Android / OSX / iOS users still have to download random stuff from the web to make their boxes work.

>Just for balance.

I do not have to install some third party crap off the interwebs that nobody can authenticate to ensure my Linux does not update without my consent. Actually, I am always kindly asked if I want to update, and I can select/postpone as I see fit. I can get diff's of the patches from the interwebs to see EXACTLY which lines of source code were changed.

Windows update attempts to trick you each time, with ever increasing sophistication. They use deception techniques, canned statements, "describing" the fixes, which often turn out to be way off.

Installing stuff from a repository IS NOT THE SAME as hunting down GWX ControlPanel (or whatever it's called) on some random website hoping nobody has injected the Ask toolbar or other walware into the exe. I am not saying a repository is 100% safe, nothing is, but it is much safer than a random website, don't you think?

So, you did not get the point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon