Reply to post: Wow so many objections to electric cars

Uncle Sam's boffins stumble upon battery storage holy grail

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Wow so many objections to electric cars

Because it won't work for ME. So progress should stand still until we can make it work for everyone? Please disconnect your broadband and go back to dial up, because there are people who live in rural areas for whom modern broadband isn't available. You can sign up against once the entire world has been wired for broadband, and then I'll be happy to wait for electric cars until we can solve YOUR problem of "but I park in the street down the block not in a garage".

Just because some people charge at home doesn't mean everyone must. In fact it probably doesn't make sense to charge at home unless you have renewable energy. i.e. solar panels on your roof with a home battery that can store the excess to recharge your car at night. Otherwise it is going to be much cheaper to recharge your car on power that's billed at lower commercial/industrial rates.

So how you do get those rates? Charging at a 'gas' station, or better yet automated battery swapping or best of all swapping of liquid electrolyte. Charging when parked at work. Charging in the street at home or when shopping, in designated parking spots equipped with charging that automatically bills you (the plug includes data lines so the car can ID itself to the charging station and handle those details)

As for the "where do we get all the power to charge all these cars, that will mean a demand for much more electricity than we can generate today". Fortunately we aren't going to replace all cars with electrics in a period of a couple years, so we don't have to worry about that. Even if we did, if ARPA-E really can do utility scale electrical storage your utility will build a few huge tanks to act as "batteries" and instantly double (or triple in hot areas of the US) their electrical generating capacity because they design based on peak load while average load is far lower. With storage they no longer have to match generating capacity to demand, so their daily output capability is greatly increased.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon