Reply to post:

More and more Brits are using ad-blockers, says survey

A Ghost

Just for some balance and perspective, I have to note that I am a content provider, though I have no business and make no money, because, well, I don't know, I imagine it's because what I offer is not good enough or unique enough. Having said that, I get tens of thousands of downloads of some of my stuff, and no one pays a penny, donates in any way shape or form. On a good day, 0.0001 percent will give a quick 'thanks', but 0.1 percent will tell you how shit your work is and don't bother giving it away for free again, even in thousands of other people found it useful. Welcome to the internet in the 21st century.

See John Walkers essays, the digital imprimatur and the internet slum. Essential reading.

You don't hear me crying or making up or abusing totalitarian laws that no one voted in, do you? I just crack on with my miserable little life. People are cheap, they will not even pay for that which they value, they will not even take the time to say thanks. I pulled all my stuff off the net over the actions of the few - the vocal minority. If the silent majority had spoken up, it would have drowned them out in seconds. But no. To paraphrase good old Alexander: I guess they didn't love their free stuff enough. Fuck them too.

A case in point.

A VST plugin maker offered to give away (as in free) 4 very high quality plugins that would normally cost say 50 dollars each, if people got together and made a contribution of 1000 gbp to a cancer charity. People refused to pay, and to his credit he released two plugins as he raised half the money. Do you know what he said that somes all of this up in one sentence? The words used were: IF EVERYONE WHO VISITED THE SITE GAVE ONLY 1P, WE WOULD HAVE RAISED THAT AMOUNT AND OVER ALREADY!

There is no accepted standard for micropayments, and I don't see one coming on to the horizon now. They will keep beating this adblock thing to death, until they eventually die out. We will last longer than them, there are more of us. Throw your TV out the window because that is just sophisticated advertising as well. Tell every site that wants you to view and ad to fuck right off. If I want your service, charge me for it. If I have the money I will pay, if not, I can't. If I can pay but decide that your stuff is not worth it, that is your problem.

I'm telling you now this will not end well.

Government meddling in affairs that have nothing to do with them. Fascism is here now and it's already too late.

We are going to see a lot of websites fold in the coming years. Many many companies that have not model will disappear. It's all one big bubble, and not even the majority of you in tech see this. Best not to look.

This internet thing is based on shakey foundations and is a house of cards. It's not a god-given thing that gives a person a right to make money just because they get hits. And I can't wait for the bastards to start learning that lesson the hard way. Expecting us to pay to be spied on is a bridge too far for me, don't know about you.

The internet is more trouble than it is worth these days. It's one big high rising balloon and we are all clinging on to its rope, wanting to jump, but we can't as it's already out of control, and still the balloon goes higher. This will not end well at all. I'm not even going to go into the abuse my family had to put up with as we deal with a dying loved one. We were forced to use the internet at great cost and suffering to ourselves, but at least it was possible. Someone without an internet connection would not have been able to do that, even at the great cost of suffering. They would have had money stopped and starved to death.

They are forcing us to use the internet. They are forcing us to have ads served. They are forcing us to be data raped and spied on. I pray you all have nice jobs and nice families with good health, but not everyone is so fortunate. Imagine those, disenfranchised, isolated, alone, no internet connection - how are they supposed to traverse modern society.

We have turned into a nation that is deeply shameful. I for one, am ashamed to be British. From the corrupt and evil government officials, to the mindless ultra-violence that is a part of many people's everyday lives, to the acquiescence of the general population.

I'll finish my rant with two quotes from famous people:

No one is innocent.

There are none so hopelessly enslaved, than those that believe they are free.

[Sorry for any mistakes, it's taken me long enough to write without going back and spell-checking. I already fear for my blood-pressure along with my sanity, so, time to stop]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019