Reply to post: A sense of entitlement you say?

Yelp minimum wage row shines spotlight on … broke, fired employee

Swarthy

A sense of entitlement you say?

I think so. Having read her original open letter, and the response from someone older (mentioned in the article) I could point to one decision that was firmly in the hands of Talia that would have given her an extra $600/month: Get a roommate. San Francisco is expensive! And it has been for some time. When my sister was living in SF she was in the same position in terms of income and rent; but she had 2 roommates to share the bill, and she had a bit left over each month.

Also, Talia's letter stated that she had been there for six months and was upset that she had to work customer service "for an entire year" [her emphasis] before she was eligible for a promotion to media where she could "make memes and twitter jokes about food."

There are some valid points, a company should pay its employees sufficient to live near(-ish) to where they work, especially for professional-grade work, and absolutely should pay somewhere around the industry average.

I am not saying she wasn't getting screwed, or that Yelp comes off well in this at all.

I am saying that if Talia hadn't decided that living on her own was a requirement, and had gotten a roommate, she would not have had to scrounge food and bum money off the guy at CVS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon