Reply to post: Re: @Chika

Reminder: How to get a grip on your files, data that Windows 10 phones home to Microsoft

Chika

Re: @Chika

"nobody is forcing you to change to Windows 10 besides Microsoft"

They're only the company people whose products are used the most at work and home...

No real biggie there then.

I'd change just the one part of that statement. They're the only company people think can be used to run their products. As I've mentioned in the past, while software lock-in can be a problem, in some cases the lock-in is only force of habit.

"there are measures that you can implement to kill that nonsense off"

But you shouldn't need to, that's the whole point. Sure *I* can implement these measures, but the average person isn't going to know any better.

No, you shouldn't need to. Don't belittle the "average person" though as they will often be the first to gripe when X has moved or Y doesn't work the way it used to. Then they take measures to correct that, which is where we come in!

"Microsoft are still supposed to stick to their published extended support for Windows 7..."

A lot of people have had this "OS" practically force itself onto their systems. So even if they did try to stay with Windows 7, they would need to know what they were doing (see "average person" comment above) in order to avoid it installing automatically.

Maybe, maybe not. See my note above about your note.

"If you have W7 or W8.1 and it does what you want it to do, then why change now?"

Oh I'm not, believe me :)

Fair enough. Nor am I. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon