Reply to post:

Reminder: How to get a grip on your files, data that Windows 10 phones home to Microsoft

zero2dash

"And with Windows I feel people are sounding this warning, pointing, screaming "look! It's horrible what they are doing!" While at the same time using their phones and apps and having no option or concern for what data is being sent back."

The difference is, most of those other companies (Google included) are willing to disclose what they do with the information.

MS has and is still playing coy. Not only that, but let's bring up the giant elephant in the room, which is the Windows Update sneakiness they're trying to pull on anyone with 7 or 8/8.1 into updating to 10....so, trust in MS is in the toilet. They say what they do, but they've already been proven untrustworthy, so why believe what they say? The bigger issue is what they're NOT saying.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You also (most likely) have less personally identifiable information on a mobile device than you do on a personal computer. I couldn't care less if Google wants to crawl my email for a small one line text based ad, but I sure the hell don't want MS cataloging the files on my computer including tax forms with social security numbers. Hands off my computer. Google has access to what I allow them to have access to; MS wants access to everything on my computer. No.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon