Reply to post:

Bill Gates denies iPhone crack demand would set precedent

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Indeed, and they also want the disabling to limited to that phone, they don't want the code, and they agree to Apple being in control of the whole operation.

Really, it seems to me that the FBI is being extremely reasonable in their demands, compared to what they could have asked for.

So you've fallen for the snow job as well then. The problem is that all the limiting language in the world cannot alter the surrounding legal system that turns decisions that have been validated into precedent.

There is no conceivable way that a court decision can NOT set precedent because it's the very basis of the US legal system, and that's where the deception hides here.

Do you really think Apple would not love to help (and they have, by the way)? There are informal channels for assist (Apple has law enforcement support in every country, by the way - I know because I had cause to find out) and as long as it stays within legal and ethical lines I think you would be hard pressed to find any company that would NOT assist. It's also not really a privacy issue as (a) the people using the device are dead and (b) it was a government issued device.

The sole and single reason this has gone to court is to play for precedent, and the fact that gives is away is that parties that MUST know better because they would otherwise not know the very basics of US law are trying to pretend this exercise will indeed be a one off whereas they damn well know that it will create precedent - you cannot prevent that from happening. It's exactly that attempted camouflage that gives away what is really happening here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon