Reply to post: Re: Honest Question

US DoJ files motion to compel Apple to obey FBI iPhone crack order

JeffyPoooh
Pint

Re: Honest Question

John H Woods "You've made a lot of very authoritative sounding statements without supporting evidence."

This is a comment box, not a 67-page peer-reviewed published paper. Your call for "supporting evidence" is out of place and childishly ridiculous. Having seen endless examples, we both know that it's impossible to 'prove' anything on the Internet.

The difference between you and I is that I've bothered myself to go through dozens of presentations on the CCC.de Media website, and you obviously haven't yet found the time. So you're sitting there, unaware of the extreme cleverness of the hackers and crackers. You're still focussing on brute forcing, ignoring (for example) the entire concept of side channel attacks or other approaches.

In this case, they're holding the phone. Humans can solder. They could (conceptually) swap the 32GB flash for fixed ROM, perhaps as simple as cutting one trace (WRITE). Phone might 'wipe itself', reboot, and wake-up right back where it was. This is just one of an infinite number of conceptual attack vectors.

Here's the point. People that make claims like yours have ALWAYS been proven wrong; eventually (few years, not 10^77 years). Study history, please. Now run along and view some CCC.de presentations.

You have some very dangerous 'cryptographer-hubris' that needs serious attention.

PS Try to find the CCC.de presentation video where the hacker had decapped the security chip and used light to reset a single non-volatile bit, representing a critical security state flag.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon