Reply to post:

Feds look left and right for support – and see everyone backing Apple

johnck

Just checking to see if I understand this correctly, and swapping phone for house.

The FBI want to get in to a house built by Apple with an Apple defence system. The FBI are not sure what's in the house but it was rented (is was a company phone) by someone nasty who destroyed the two houses they did own to stop the FBI seeing what's in them, but strangely let this one untouched so almost certainly has nothing in it.

The FBI can get into the house as the don't have the key, Apple also don't have the key as they gave to keys to the owner when they brought the house, who then gave them to the person renting it and thy cant get the keys from them. Trying to smash the door down will activate the Apple defence and destroy everything inside.

The FBI have a court order telling Apple to build them a batting ram that will not activate the Apple defence system so they can get inside with out it destroying everything. Apple have said no as the reason people buy Apple houses is for the Apple defence system to stop other people breaking in and taking everything. If Apple did build the batting ram, the FBI could use on any house they wanted to and crooks could get hold of it and use it to brake in to other houses, thus making the Apple defence system useless for everyone, so they might just as well leave the door open.

I see Apples point on this, but I also understand the FBI desire to get into the house, but as others have said the FBI have the house and they haven't even thought about trying any of the windows or seeing if they could take the roof off. Have I got that right ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon