Reply to post: Re: "lines of code produced or function points created"

Hey British coders: DevOps – you're doing it wrong

SVV

Re: "lines of code produced or function points created"

I once spent a fortnight refactoring a bunch of classes, that consisted of huge amounts of cludgy cut'n'paste code, and had been created with so little thought or skill that I managed to end up with code that did the same thing and was 80% - 90% smaller in terms of both lines of code and function points.

The project manager there was a contractor, who was obsessed with metrics and Microsoft Project, who loved to turn up for meetings with senior management armed with all sorts of charts to impress them with.

So of course, he soon appeared at my desk looking confused and clutching charts showing lines of code and function points created for various applications, with mine shpwing a massive negative bar on it. The fact that this refactoring had to be done to get the work finished quicker and with much less code (and bugs) in the product was incomprehensible to him.

If code metrics are seen as part of the "DevOps" mindset, does this mean that all the "Agile Evangelists" who were obsessed with refactoring are now out of vougue? We need to be told!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon