Reply to post: Please, what's the difference with what happend with the banking/financial/media sector?

How tech firms can drive growth without making inequality worse

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Please, what's the difference with what happend with the banking/financial/media sector?

It looks to me all that happened before in the banking/financial/marketing/media sectors. Lots of people paid a lot who in turn led to high prices for houses and offices. What's the problem now? That tech people also now earns money too instead of being serfs of the money/media-shifting guys and gals?

It's not that I like the situation, I just find funny it's an issue only if it's tech people - otherwise it's a very welcome inevitable situation. Looks like what happend when the "bourgeoisie" started to challenge the status of the "nobles", becoming as much as rich, if not more.

Anyway, in these sectors you can't really try to train local people. You have to find the best ones around, and put them to work together. I've see already miserable failures in attempts to use high-tech to improve poorer areas. Those areas aren't appealing to the bright ones (above average criminality, poor schools, health/transportation/etc. services, less appealing houses and neighboourhood...), and no matter how much you train the "locals", no enough may reach the required high standards and skills. That's why high-tech flourish in appealing places.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon