Reply to post: Hugarian, code-reviews, and Real Programmers

Good thing this dev quit. I'd have fired him. Out of a cannon. Into the sun

Mike 16

Hugarian, code-reviews, and Real Programmers

Sort of an omnibus comment.

1) Time to (re-?)read Joel Spolsky's excellent essay on "making wrong code look wrong"

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

In a nutshell, the original "Hungarian" notation was actually quite useful, specifying the type (in the plain English sense of the word) of a variable, that is, was a particular coordinate pair in world or screen space. It was perverted by people who thought "type" as in the C.S. sense, something about the size and format of a variable, nothing to do with semantics.

2) Code reviews can be a great thing. Or they can be (usually are) an occasion to air petty grievances, show off the reviewer's vast knowledge of arcane language points, and endlessly bikeshed things like brace style and variable name (local ones, even).

3) My "favorite" example of "lost in translation" was when I was tracing a "hardware error" on a PC motherboard used in an embedded system. The buggy 8086 code (to initialize a device) was traceable in part to some magic values computed by a C program that had obviously been translated from BASIC to C by someone not too familiar with either. We fixed our BIOS, but I did notice that a fairly high volume consumer desktop by a famous manufacturer had the same issue, so even though I reported the error to the chip vendor, apparently the major BIOS vendor didn't bother to fix it.

In short, giving a damn is half the battle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon