Reply to post: Re: Futile gesture

Putin's internet guru says 'nyet' to Windows, 'da' to desktop Linux

thames

Re: Futile gesture

@Philip Clarke - "Not if they are American or British and sanctions are in place"

So, err, why would the Russians government want to hire Americans or Brits? They could just, you know, hire Russians. There's loads of Russian software developers already in Russia. There's a number of Russian Linux distros already in existence, so there's definitely people there with the requisite experience. I'm struggling to see why this would be a problem.

"Not on any installation of Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, Libreoffice or Openoffice or any Apache foundation project with Sanctions in place"

Oracle DB is probably in the same boat as MS products. As for MySQL, MongoDB, Libreoffice, etc., US "sanctions" would be irrelevant in Russia, and the Russians can decide for themselves how to apply their own counter-sanctions. I'm really struggling to see what the problem would be here.

"With sanctions in place as the FSF is headquartered in the USA, any distro is probably legally termed as being exported from the US if it contains the kernel source or otherwise."

Er, and? I'm pretty sure the Russians could compile their own kernel without phoning up Richard Stallman personally (not that the FSF is exactly involved in the kernel much anyway beyond providing the compiler).

As I said, there are already Linux distros in existence in Russia. It's not exactly rocket science, which by the way is something the Russians do on their own as well. All that is happening here is that the Russian government will be using Linux, and either hiring their own support staff or letting tenders to Russian companies to do the support. They're already supporting an IT infrastructure which handles the government of a country with the population of the UK, France, and the Netherlands combined. Supporting a Linux distro is not going to be a major problem.

I won't be surprised to see this happen. The only thing holding them back up to this point will have been the lack of high level support for pushing through the actual change through the government IT system. If the backing is there from the top however, it will happen.

I've been through the equivalent of this at the corporate level when one large multinational buys up another one and declares that their new acquisition must comply with the new corporate standards. What, your rat's nest of Lotus 123 spreadsheet macros won't work with MS Excell? Not my problem, they're your spreadsheets, so they're your problem. Deal with it.

I will expect to see the Chinese doing the same before too long, by the way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020