Reply to post: Re: Still building mud and sticks.

Government hails superfast broadband deal for new homes

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Still building mud and sticks.

Here in NL it's quite common to have washing machines in the bathroom. They used to be hard-wired to a pullcord operated switch. However, in recent years they've relaxed the wiring regulations and socket outlets are now permitted in bathrooms (hasn't led to a spate of deaths I don't think).

Could be that the switch to modern RCBs has made it safer than old fashioned fuse wire.

I'm guessing the Dutch system is like that in France and you use spurs rather than a ring main. The UK sockets are quite happy to dump 30+ Amps out of the wall.

I'm not sure that the place you saw in Sussex wouldn't be breaching all sorts of UK laws.

I know that in the places we rent out I wouldn't do it. Mind the last place we bough was built in 1992 and didn't have RCBs! When I had our electrician go and sort things out he said there was a stupid clause in the planning laws that meant that if the builders claimed the design for the wiring pre-dated the safety laws they didn't have to obey them so long as they kept following the same old dumb design as they put up new houses. Mad Mad Mad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon