Reply to post: I had a boss that...

What's it like to work for a genius and Olympic archer who's mates with Richard Branson?

jason 7

I had a boss that...

...was a right pig and a bully. He was the Director of IT and thought he was the big 'I AM'.

I remember once he came in to talk to my boss about the current laptop choices and I was the only other one in the office.

He really started laying into my boss (who was a good bloke) about there not being any fancy ones for the Directors to pose with etc. and it was really embarrassing and unprofessional to tear into my boss in front of me.

I just snapped. I stood up, looked him dead in the eyes and said as calmly as I could muster "Look...it's just a bloody tool to get the job done! If you were a F1 driver we'd get you a Ferrari but to look at your email the Thinkpad will do just fine. We're workers not posers!"

My boss looked like he shat himself. The Director just looked dumbstruck and then started back-pedalling and apologising like crazy. He left the room. Boss didn't say anything but I said from behind my monitor "No one shits on my boss in front of me!". I got a good bonus that year.

As for the director, he was always overly chummy when he saw me after that. He got the sack a few months later for signing off contracts he shouldn't have.

I danced on my desk when I heard.

Since then I've challenged many a higher level Director etc. full on. As long as you are right and they are being an idiot they crumble every time. Bullies and bullshitters always do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon