Reply to post: No should bloody well mean no

Windows 10 will now automatically download and install on PCs

mickey mouse the fith

No should bloody well mean no

I have a nice win 7 desktop. I in no way want win10 touching this, and yet down comes that 4gb update and all the telemetry bollocks with it. Bloody thing pretty much tied up my slow internet connection for an entire day, meaning i couldn't get on with what i wanted to do, even watching youtube was out. This machine is set up perfectly for my needs and i really dont want to go through the hassle of upgrading, failing (which it will), not being able to roll back (ditto), reinstalling 7, then 10 like i did with my other machine.

I just noticed it does the same thing on my netbook, a machine that wont run 10 anyway so why the blue blazes are you downloading 4gb of pointless data eh microsoft?

I quite like 10 as an os, but all this sneaky buggering about behind my back has started putting me right off. First they remotely removed ccleaner without so much as a single notification they had done so. Cue me thinking i was going mad and maybe hadnt installed it on this machine, but then others started reporting it as well. Yeah i get that it probably had compatibility issues with an update, but ffs tell the user, dont just uninstall it in the background. Is that even legal?, and more to the point, what else are they planning to uninstall or alter without telling anyone?

I found spybot antibeacon handy for turning off the telemetry, but surprise surprise, Microsoft seem to have got round a lot of the blocks (ignoring the host file for one, yeah thatl end well).

I would switch to Linux, but every time i install a distro to see how its improved, i always find it lacking in certain areas for my use case, mainly games and productivity stuff, plus the fact that no distribution ever seems to find my laptops network card and/or sd card reader, resulting in much trawling of unfriendly forums before getting bored and going back to the comforting womb that is windows. Oh yeah, i tried mac os and thought it was bloody awful, so wont be switching to that either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon