Reply to post: Re: Always forgotten

Come on kids, let's go play in the abandoned nuclear power station

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Always forgotten

Ah yes, our good old PWR2 site - just off the to the right in the first photo IIRC.

Went up there a couple of times for my then employer - and we were always wondering why we flew to Wick, 30 miles away, when there's an "airport" next door.

On one occasion, I was working in the control room - this was before construction was finished, so no point playing with the controls - but I wasn't an authorised keyholder. So I'm working away, and the guy that was the keyholder went off for a break, locking the door behind him. A short time later, someone else came in and found me still working there - oblivious to the fact that I'd been locked in !

Never got to do it myself, but some colleagues said that if the weather was very good, one of the company pilots wasn't averse to coming down from 20+k feet and flying down the lakes so people could enjoy the scenery.

Mind you, it wasn't the engines they were working on up there - just the kettle. The engines were tested with big boilers running on oil or something wherever the factory was. At the shipyard, we had our own testing shed - with 'kin big oil fired boiler to run the turbines.

Anon because obviously I'm still not supposed to talk about this defence of the realm stuff - even though most of what I worked on has not been decommissioned. That makes you feel your age, when there's a bit on telly that mentions a class of submarines being laid up prior to scrapping - and then you realise you worked on them being built, and they've had a 25 year service life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon