Reply to post: Re: Did I read that last bit right?

Cops hate encryption but the NSA loves it when you use PGP

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Did I read that last bit right?

I understood it as when they're investigating someone and they're using PGP, it's much easier to piece together who is in their "network" for want of a better word.

The key (if you pardon the pun) is that PGP is not casually applied, it's wilful, targeted and a sign that the two end points of that conversation have a more than casual connection with each other. I have used it on many platforms (Android, iOS, Windows, Linux and OSX) and it has become easier. It has, however, not becomes so easy that it's easy for the casual user as key management is still not smooth enough so it'll never be a default, it takes extra effort.

The world of meta data is not one of facts, but of probabilities that you seek to get as high as possible. As with all statistical processes you can screw up badly if you use the wrong data (let's not forget the wonderfully clear statement of General Michael Hayden on this matter and yes, he thought he was being funny), not to mention that the result of such an analysis typically ends up in the hands of people who don't understand the difference between probability and fact.

So, using PGP is indeed somewhat akin to flag waving. If more people start using it you would indeed end up with a small reduction in probability but I suspect that PGP is but one of the many inputs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon