Reply to post: Re: Ok...

New open-source ad-blocking web browser emerges from brain of ex-Mozilla boss Eich

BongoJoe

Re: Ok...

FF22. I am speaking as a potential viewer of a site and I have a monthly broadband limit (due to living on the road and feed my internet usage via SIMS in dongles) so I have to consider the bandwidth that I consume.

I pay for this bandwidth and I see it as theft, not fraud (I can't work out how you come to this particular conclusion) when an advertiser throws a massive advert at me that is not needed. Now if I agreed to receive, via the post office, a letter from an advertiser the next morning and pay on delivery for the advertisement in return for browsing the site then that's one thing. It's another when the doorbell rings and the postman shows me a large parcel which took days to deliver and weights as much as a small racehorse and is going to cost me considerably more for delivery.

Yes, you're right. That is fraud.

Not too many years ago the web was full of pages with no adverts. Or if they were then they were just simple jpeg files dished up by the host's server with a simple URL behind it. And even these came in well after the web was up and running.

Now you are telling me that there's an implied Terms of Service which says that we have to receive this data whether we want them or not. And that we have to have installed any malware because you say so.

When I pop into a newsagents and buy a magazine I walk three steps outside to the nearest bin and, holding the outside cover pages together I give the thing a bloody great shake and all the blow in advertising crap goes straight into the bin. I will read the proper adverts in the magazine as a rule (usually they are the most interesting bits in there) but never the add ins because they are an annoyance particularly as I have to dispose of them because living on a motorhome exploring the country that I live in I don't particularly want badly targeted adverts which offer a stair lift, or a Parker biro if I sign up for some funeral insurance.

These advertisers have ruined it for themselves and there was no ToS that I agreed to when buying the magazine saying that I had to accept these blow-ins.

No-one here is wanting no advertising.

We are just wanting proportional advertising which:

- doesn't sling adverts that autoplay,

- have sound,

- block the page one's reading,

- potentially serve malware, and

- doesn't report back with our reader profile to anyone.

If you wish to bang on about a ToS then that list is what we expect to see in a site's ToS because as a server of a web site and you wish to deal with me then, equally, you have implied agreement to these terms. None of those items in that list above are excessive and all are reasonable.

So,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon