Reply to post: Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's a UAV circling over my missile silo.

Pentagon fastens lasers to military drones to zap missiles out of the skies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's a UAV circling over my missile silo.

The 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon involved IAF vs. Syrian SAM deployment that by all accounts surpassed that of the earlier '73 war.

That one?

A decade and a half later some of my uni colleagues spent their draft time in the same garrison as the "advisors" present at some one the SAM sites in 1973. So while I do not know this first hand, I know it from a reliable source (multiple confirmations):

It does not matter how good your weapons are if you arm idiots with them. The only two SAM sites to move in time to backup radar frequencies and backup positions during the Israeli attack in 1973 had "advisors" on site. They were also the only ones to score kills and take no casualties. One had Bulgarian, the other Russian military personnel. I do not know about the Ruskies, but the Bulgarian "advisor" had a formal complaint filed about him after that for pulling a gun to make the locals move with sufficient haste and ignore the f*** morning prayers.

As far as the ex-Yugo wars, Yugoslavia did not have _ANY_ modern Soviet/Russian AA weapons - their stock was obsolete by ~ 15+ years because they stopped buying in the mid-70es after the spat between Tito and Brezhnev. They did not have the early S-300s. They did not even have Buk-1 for crying out loud and they still managed to take down a few aircraft including stealth ones. So in that case it was USA/NATO versus roughly Korean War/Vietnam War equipment. It is not a valid example

So based on _EXACTLY_ those two wars, I would really not want to see up-to-date NATO kit vs up-to-date Soviet/Russian gear. It ain't going to be pretty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon