Reply to post: No one really cares what their OS is.

2015 was the Year of the Linux Phone ... Nah, we're messing with you

theOtherJT

No one really cares what their OS is.

I mean, normal people. Not people like us commentards.

No, really, they don't care. They shouldn't have to care. Computers, tablets, smartphones - these things are tools. They do a job (all right, many jobs) and they should be judged on how well they do that. The software stack matters WAY more than the OS does in terms of getting the job done, and that's all about the user experience. How hard was it to make it do what you wanted. That's what people care about, and Linux isn't always great at that.

Maybe there are good ideological reasons for Linux (and FOSS in general) being better than Windows or OSX, but they're still going to take a back seat to "getting the job done" in any real situation. Once you have to live in the real world with deadlines and deliverables and release targets and all that shit, then ideological purity goes straight back in the the bottom of the wardrobe along with the bong you have left over from college as a cute reminder of how "free" you used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux. I think it's a perfectly acceptable Desktop operating system FOR ME because it does all the things I want it to do, and it does them no worse than any other OS. I like the fact that it allows me to get a bit more up close and personal with my hardware and start tinkering with things too, but lets be honest here, normal people don't want to do that either. Normal people have better things to do with their lunch hours than benchmark different filesystem configurations and see if they can improve the iops performance on their NAS.

Certainly Linux could be better, but then basically everything could be better. If these "Year of linux on the..." arguments spur anyone into improving little bits of the user experience here and there then that's great, but I don't really feel the need to get too excited about it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019