Reply to post: Chinese whispers

Switzerland, Spain and France are beating UK at DevOps – survey

Dale Vile, Freeform Dynamics
Go

Chinese whispers

Hello everyone - Dale here from Freeform Dynamics - we conducted the research reported here.

I understand some of the concerns expressed in this thread, and apologise for what I think is a case of Chinese whispers. The study focused on early adopters of DevOps so the data is skewed towards those that have been more active in this area (bear that in mind when considering the percentages reported). The caveats and footnotes associated with this did not make it through the release and news reporting process leading up to the article we are discussing (which was all out of our hands). For a more complete view of the study findings (including the methodology and its limitations) we would encourage you to download or view the research report from the Freeform Dynamics website (here).

In the meantime, regarding some of the sentiment coming through in this thread about DevOps being an intangible marketing concept as opposed to anything real or specific, it's worth remembering that the DevOps movement originated from the grass roots IT practitioner community. Sure, the marketing guys have since hopped on as the bandwagon started to roll, but as we discuss in the research report, there are a lot of tangible specifics in play here. Admittedly they are not all new (indeed most aren't at all), but I think that misses the point. DevOps pulls together a bunch of established and emerging ideas in a way that tackles a lot of traditional delivery challenges.

Hope that helps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon