Reply to post: @Pete H

Ten years in, ultra-high-def gets a standard

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@Pete H

I'm not saying informed customers will buy based on stickers, but go ahead and see if reviews will tell you how much of the color gamut is actually displayed!

I've already seen a half dozen articles talking about the new standard that claim TVs that comply with it will be able to display far more colors. That's patently false, since 90% of P3 is the same as the color gamut every HDTV displays today. The writers don't understand the difference between being required to accept BT.2020 as input and displaying 90% of P3 (or likely know how much smaller the P3 gamut is than BT.2020 in the first place) So they spread bad information that will be spread by others ad infinitum.

I expect most reviews will either make that mistake, or will "test" this based on the eyes of the reviewer (which are often green tinted in review sites that depend on advertising revenue to survive) Unless the manufacturer reveals this information (they won't, except on their high end sets that may actually display more colors) the only way to know for sure would be to use some lab equipment to test it. Unless consumers are informed enough to know that they should look for that in a review, why would reviews invest in that equipment?

Maybe I'm wrong and this will become common knowledge in a few years and it will eventually become easy to learn this information, but my cynicism is based on the whole 4K rollout process. TV makers didn't make it all that easy at first to find out whether their TVs could handle HDCP 2.2, a lot of the early 4K TVs did not and those TVs will become pretty useless when not using their 'smart' features since cable/satellite STBs are required to use HDCP 2.2 on broadcast 4K content. The owners of those early (and expensive) 4K TVs will be in for a rude awakening when 4K STBs become available and they find their 4K TV is a boat anchor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon